Our faces change throughout our lives. As we grow from birth to adulthood, many dramatic changes occur, and the changes continue as we grow older. Weight gain or loss, pregnancy, changes in activity levels, and sun exposure can all affect the look of your face. Wrinkles develop in places where your muscles move, such as the areas around your mouth, eyes, and forehead. These deep wrinkles are the hardest to get rid of.
Frown lines, sometimes called worry lines, “11” lines, or the technical term, Glabellar lines, are deep vertical wrinkles that develop between the eyebrows. They may appear as a single vertical line, as two or more lines, or as angled lines that lean toward the inner corners of the eyebrows, and are the result of your forehead muscles squeezing inward as you furrow your brows.
When you were young, they may have only been noticeable when you made certain facial expressions. Over time, though, the tissue around the muscles might have developed wrinkles that never smooth out.
Book Your Appointment Today!
Wrinkles are not just the result of looking sad. Joyous expressions such as smiling and laughing start to show visible traces of movement patterns as well. The result is smile lines around the mouth, lines around the eyes, and horizontal expression lines on your forehead.
As you age, the expression lines on your face can start to look more prominent. As skin loses elasticity and firmness, the skin begins to look thinner and bones become more prominent. The connective tissues in the skin and cartilage also get weaker, leading to looser skin which reveals expression lines more clearly.
Other Causes of Frown Lines
Frown lines are primarily caused by the loss of skin elasticity that doesn’t allow skin to return to its original state as quickly when we age. There are several factors that contribute to the development of frown lines, including:
- Genetics. Your DNA determines whether you have the type of skin that is resilient and can delay lines or the type of skin that is more prone to lines and wrinkles.
- Sunlight. The UV rays in sunlight break down the elastin and collagen in your skin, making you more susceptible to the formation of lines.
- Repeated expressions. Frowning, smiling, squinting or furrowing your eyebrows often may make it more likely to develop deep forehead lines.
- Stress causes facial tension, which can lead to frown lines.
- Smoking. The repeated motion of smoking a cigarette or cigar can cause frown lines around the mouth. The act of inhaling causes wrinkles and lines due to a narrowing of the blood vessels.
Can I Get Rid of Frown Lines?
Frown lines between the eyebrows can actually make you look angry or serious, even when you don’t feel that way. So, what can you do about it?
One way to get rid of frown lines is to use over-the-counter or prescription anti-wrinkle treatments. But though those treatments are recommended for fine lines, they are not as effective on deep frown line wrinkles.
There are many tactics people attempt to remove frown lines including:
- Eating a healthy diet
- Taking supplement that includes omega-3 fatty acids
- Drinking more water
- Getting enough sleep
- Sleeping on your back.
- Using sunscreen every day.
- Wearing sunglasses. Not only will sunglasses keep you from squinting, but they’ll protect the skin around your eyes.
- Moisturizing your face at least three times each day.
- Exfoliating skin
There are many home remedies for dealing with frown lines.
- Applying egg whites to the frown lines between your eyes/eyebrows
- Applying yogurt mixed with honey, lemon juice, and vitamin E
- Massaging coconut oil or sweet almond oil into frown lines
- Taking flaxseed oil internally
- Applying a mashed avocado mask
- Exercising the frontalis muscle, also called the epicranial muscle, two sections of the forehead in the top, upper-rear portion of the skull.
Effective Treatments for Turning Frown Lines Upside Down
While we all wish we could smile everyday, those pesky frown lines are bound to appear eventually. And sadly, no matter how hard you try, frown lines can be tough to tackle. While we can’t wish them away, we can stop the lines from getting deeper and more noticeable with effective treatment plans like those offered at Specialist Skin Solutions.
Minimally invasive options for reducing the appearance of frown lines are effective, painless and have little to no recovery time. Anti-wrinkle injections are one of the most popular treatments for defeating frown lines. When injected into a muscle, these injections cause the muscle to relax and limit its movements.
This treatment not only makes existing lines look smoother as soon as the injection takes effect, but the injections also act as a paralytic, making it hard to tighten your brow muscles. Not allowing your eyebrows to move inward keeps the development of additional or deeper lines to a minimum.
The injections only take a few minutes to administer, are relatively painless, and there is no recovery time. Injections generally take up to two weeks to reach full results and last between 3 and 6 months.
A physician-led cosmetic clinic, specializing in non-surgical aesthetic procedures, laser treatments, and skin therapies, the team at Specialist Skin Solutions provides expert advice with individualized treatments that address the lines that make you frown.
With a commitment to providing friendly, easy-to-understand professional advice and setting realistic expectations, the team at Specialist Skin Solutions combines research, knowledge, and experience with evidence-based treatments and products.
Because no two faces are alike, we tailor our treatment plans to each client’s needs, budget, and preferences.
Specialist Skin Solutions offers a variety of treatments that are highly effective for eliminating deep frown lines. Give us a call @ (02) 4934 1700 if you have any questions or contact us today to set up a consultation. Our team is waiting to help you turn those frown lines into happy, healthy, and younger-looking skin.